This message was preached by Colin D Cruz at Word of Grace Church on June 21st 2015. To listen/download the audio please click here
Fatherhood is in the heart of God.
In Eph 3:14-15 Paul says “I kneel before the father…”
This concept of fatherhood is rooted in God. It’s biblical and Godly. Fatherhood is a part of scripture. In the gospels, Jesus says 21 times- “our father” and “your father” and 53 times, he says, “my father”.
In Exodus 20:12- God is giving Moses the 10 commandments. “Honour your mother and your father” is one of the 10! We all have different experiences with fathers. How do we relate with them? This is important to God, how we treat our parents.
Honour means to respect, love, appreciate. It begins internally and then manifests externally. This applies to all authorities. Today the world is becoming flat- where there is no destruction between boss, employee, etc.
Ephesians 6:13 says that this is one command with a promise of blessing. Honour as children is akin to obedience. Sadly today, it’s the parents who obey the children! Parents do not parent the children how to obey and honour. One way we honour people is respect. We teach our children to respect by greeting elders, look them in the eye.
When a child becomes an adult, are they required to obey? This is tricky in India because of the cultural influence. As an adult, you are no longer required to obey your parents. However, you would be wise to listen to them. But you are then responsible for your own decisions and actions.
When it comes to something unbiblical, we are not required to obey no matter whom. In Luke 2:51 it says that Jesus went down to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them. Even Jesus was obedient to his parents.
Prisons are largely filled with men. This is often because of bad fathers or absent fathers. The big social problem in the slums is drunken men or fathers. The women are slogging away. The challenge is with the fathers.
Q. so what would God have us do as fathers?
1. Provide: for our families. This is primarily the father’s responsibility. 1 Tim 5:8- “Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever”. This is the father’s responsibility.
2. Faithfully instructing the children in the ways of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4- Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Spiritual instruction, discipline etc. is primarily with the father. The mother also disciplines but it is not abdication.
More is caught than is taught. So fathers need to live Godly lives.1 Cor 11:1 says follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.
3. We need to affirm and love our kids. We need to hug our children- boys and girls. We have a heavenly father who affirms us. Who rejoices in us.
The blessing- what can you do to express your love to your children. Genesis 27:27-29
- Meaningful touch- kiss and hug your children
- Speak a message of love and affection. Sow to criticize and correct look with an eagle’s eye to appreciate
- Assure them of their value, also by spending time with them. Love is spelled T-I-M-E
- Hope- Speak to them of a glorious future.
Word of Grace is an Evangelical (Born Again), Spirit filled (Charismatic), Reformed, English speaking in Pune that upholds the Bible as God's inspired Word for life. We are a church community that have people from every part of India and parts of the world. We are here to put the Great Command and the into practice by equipping and releasing every member into works of service. To know about us please log onto www.wordofgracechurch.org.