Wednesday, May 3, 2017
True Devotion| Austine K
This message was preached by Austine Kudalkar at Word of Grace Church on April 30th, 2017. To listen/download the audio please click here. To listen to the Sunday's worship and prophetic contributions please click here.
Last Friday we gathered for a worship evening, soaking in his presence. There was a prophetic word shared to confirm the topic of today’s message. Let’s welcome his presence here.
Luke 7: 36- 50
Jesus was invited to a Pharisee’s house. A woman stood beside Jesus, weeping on Jesus’ feet, wiping his feet with her hair, pouring expensive perfume on his feet. From verse 40, Jesus speaks to the Pharisee. “And Jesus answering said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “Say it, Teacher.” “A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?” Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.” Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?” And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Jesus is talking about 2 kinds of people. Pharisees who make laws, called as the Holy men. They are influential. On the other hand is a sinful woman who is disrespected in the society. The Pharisee starts judging the woman. In the earlier passage, we see that Jesus heals the Centurion’s servant who was at the point of death. Then he raises the widow’s son to life. The crowd starts cheering. The Pharisee had forgotten about the miracles of Jesus. He is practicing hospitality, but he does not give water to his feet or kiss him. On the other hand, the sinful woman shows much love. She gave her honour. A woman’s hair is her honour, but she wiped his feet with them. She acknowledges that she is a big sinner who needs forgiveness.
In this passage, we see Jesus as our savior. He forgives all our sins. Isaiah 53:5- “But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his wounds we are healed.”
Colossians 1:19-22 “For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him”
Jesus did not condemn this woman but accepted her as she is. She is made blameless. Jesus did not say anything about the Pharisee.
Q. How can we express our devotion to God?
1. We can spend time in God’s presence daily because he has reconciled us and made us free from accusation. He has given us full access into his presence. The Pharisee and the sinful woman could not come together
2. Giving- when we give generously and cheerfully, we express devotion to God.
3. Fellowship- Hebrews 10:24-25 “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” It talks about not neglecting the fellowship of believers. Let us practice meeting together and on time at every time possible. It is struggle for me to make it on time, but I am striving to get better. Meeting through the week is also very important.
4. Hospitality- we have many in our midst who practice wonderful hospitality! I want to encourage the single men and women and families to practice hospitality.
5. Evangelism and Global mission- sharing the gospel is a way to express our love and devotion towards God.
6. Apostle’s teaching- In Acts 2:42, they devoted themselves to the apostles teaching. Express your love like this woman did.
When we don’t do these things, we may think that we have been forgiven little. He has taken all our sins. It is a big thing! We have new life in Christ Jesus and freedom to express our love and devotion. God has loved us extravagantly and we want to love him deeply.
Word of Grace is an Evangelical (Born Again), Spirit filled (Charismatic), Reformed, English speaking in Pune that upholds the Bible as God's inspired Word for life. We are a church community that have people from every part of India and parts of the world. We are here to put the Great Command and the into practice by equipping and releasing every member into works of service. To know about us please log onto www.wordofgracechurch.org.