This message was preached bManesh Peters at Word of Grace Church on January 26th, 2020 To listen/download the audio please click here. To listen to the worship please click here
Are you walking with God?
In Gen 5:24 we see that Enoch walked with God and he was no more.
Enoch had his own worries. Every day has its own worries. But he chose to put his worries at the feet of Jesus and he walked with God.
Walking with God means continuous fellowship with God. Two people cannot walk together unless they agree.
Phil 3:8-10 - “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,”
3 key aspects of walking with God:
- Gaining Christ -
- Paul lost certain things to gain Christ. A gain in Greek means a profit in exchange of something ordinary for something better. To gain Christ is to be united with him.
- What did Paul lose? Phil 3:4-6 “though I myself have a reason for confidence in the flesh also. If anyone else thinks he has reason for confidence in the flesh, I have more: circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless.”
- This is how they thought you can know God.
- But when Paul knew Christ he lost his confidence in the flesh because he received a righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. He embraced the free gift of righteousness.
- The day we think we deserve something, we enter self-righteousness. Isaiah 64:6 “We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment. We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.”
- Our bank account of righteousness is not nil. It has the full righteousness of Jesus credited to our account
2. Knowing Christ
- Knowledge in Greek means knowledge through experience. When we experience His peace, love and everlasting life we know him. Knowing God is not a future event when we come face to face with God.
- Phil 1:23 - departing from earth is not going to heaven, it means to be in the manifest presence of God and that is why it’s the best place.
- A relationship is not built on one way communication. John 10:27 says my sheep hear my voice. If you are his sheep, you can hear his voice.
- It has been granted to us to suffer for him. It’s a favor from God that we get to suffer for him. We participate in this suffering as a gift from God.
- 2 Tim 3:12 - “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,” we don’t go looking for persecution on the streets. But there is a wilful submission to the suffering that comes from surrendering to Jesus.
- Why would you participate in His sufferings? We are shaped as we do this. But the prime reason we take part in His suffering is our love and passion for Christ. Let the extreme love and passion from Christ from gaining and knowing Christ drive you to participate in His suffering.
Word of Grace is an Evangelical (Born Again), Spirit-filled (Charismatic), Reformed, English speaking church in Pune that upholds the Bible as God's inspired Word for life. We are a church community that has people from every part of India and parts of the world. We are here to put the Great Command and the Great Commission into practice by equipping and releasing every member into works of service. Word of Grace is a part of a wider international family of Churches called RegionsBeyond.To know more about us please log onto www.wordofgracechurch.org.
Post a Comment