Revelatory gifts - Word of wisdom,
How many of you have been in situations where you feel stuck because you don't know what to do or what's happening?
The holy spirit living within us is not only for relational intimacy. It is a partnership to advance the kingdom and we need to lean into him more. This is in continuation of our series on the gifts of the holy spirit - revelatory gifts. Today we will specifically look into the gift of words of wisdom/ utterance of wisdom. I believe this gift is like a key that unlocks situations.
1 Corinthians 2:16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.”
Revelation is born out of a relationship. John 15:15 “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.”
1. Word of Wisdom
This is the first gift mentioned in the list of gifts that we dealt with in 1 Corinthians 12.
1 Corinthians 2: 7-10: “But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him”— 10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit.”
What is the word of wisdom? It is a gift of the holy spirit that grants us insight into the wisdom of God for a person or a situation. Solomon famously seeks wisdom over power or riches and God gladly grants him all these along with wisdom. What is the purpose of the word of wisdom? Eccl 10:10 “Using a dull axe requires great strength, so sharpen the blade.
That’s the value of wisdom; it helps you succeed. “The word of wisdom comes to quicken and give direction to people and situations. This is not the wisdom of the world. It comes from God.
Where do we see this gift in operation in scripture?
● Moses’ father-in-law Jethro in Exodus 18 sees how Moses was judging the people of Israel from day to night and he said in verse 17-19 ““What you are doing is not good. 18 You and the people with you will certainly wear yourselves out, for the thing is too heavy for you. You are not able to do it alone. 19 Now obey my voice; I will give you advice, and God be with you!”
● Acts 15: 19-20 ““It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God. 20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.”
How do you identify/ bring a word of wisdom?
James 3:17 “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere”
● Pure - no ulterior motives
● Peaceable - It does not stir up strife, it comes to make peace. When you are confused and feeling aimless, the word of wisdom comes to give direction and put things in order.
● Gentle - not forceful
● Open to reason - not insisting on own way
● Full of mercy - and not judgement (Counselling session with Colin and Navaz)
● Full of good fruits - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and self-control.
● Impartial - no favouritism
● Sincere - vulnerable and honest. For your good, not their own.
Wisdom can unlock a dead situation like pretty much nothing else can.
How can you receive this gift?
❖ Seek wisdom - James 1: 5 “ If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
❖ Expect to receive the gift in faith James 1:6-7 “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord”
❖ Get close to Jesus. Read the scriptures carefully so you can understand his ways. The bible says, Israel knew the works of God but Moses knew the ways of God. 1 Corinthians 1:24 “to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God..” Colossians 2:3 “In Him all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden”
❖ Read and listen to wise people.
❖ Surrender your tongue. The holy spirit said that he will give us the words to speak
HOW DO APPLY THIS GIFT IN THE WORLD:
Ephesians 3: 10 so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.”
Words of wisdom: Supernatural answers for the marketplace: Prov 18: 15-16 “An intelligent heart acquires knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. A man's gift makes room for him and brings him before the great.” We are called to be the Josephs and Daniels of today. Joseph brought words of wisdom about how to deal with the years of plenty and years of famine and was elevated because of his gift. Daniel was the counsellor to the king not only for the interpretation of dreams but for his wisdom. We can bring God solutions to problems in the marketplace which no one is thinking about.
Word of Grace is an Evangelical (Born Again), Spirit-filled (Charismatic), Reformed, English speaking in Pune that upholds the Bible as God's inspired Word for life. We are a church community that has people from every part of India and parts of the world. We are here to put the Great Command and the into practice by equipping and releasing every member into works of service. Word of Grace is a part of a wider international family of Churches called RegionsBeyond.To know about us please log onto www.wordofgracechurch.org.