This message was preached by Gary Welsh at Word of Grace Church on January 31st, 2016. To listen/download the audio please click here.To listen to the Sunday's worship and prophetic contributions please click here
- Leadership can be lonely. We preach teams, we have eldership teams and we want build teams. But sometimes you can feel like the only person who is concerned about things. Israel was overwhelmed. If God did not choose the judges, they would have been totally ineffective and have assimilated with the others.
- We live in urgent times. If godly men and women don't fight, we can miss the thing we have been called into. He's coming back for his glorious church but we can be the generation that experiences a great downfall like the Israelites did at this point. If we are not careful, we can get overwhelmed by the vast majority of the population who are not Christians. It is tough for the gospel to enter some place, but in some places the gospel is also retreating. The gospel was thriving in different places at different times. Ephesus which was once a thriving center Christianity, is the presence Turkey where most of the population are confessing muslims. Around the world, the gospel is retreating. 98% of Indians are not confessing Christians. We are in urgent times and we have a God given task to go and spread the gospel. We need to take action.
- This is the time for Christians to fight. Judges 15: 14-15 " " God wanted someone ready for a fight. Although we cannot model our life according to everything Samson did, we need to model ourselves to have this fighting spirit. Fighting is the language of the church. To see nations changed we need to be a fighting people. We musn't be complacent.
- We need to do it in the power of the spirit. Samson did not look like a body builder. So they asked him- where does your strength come from? It is all in the power of the spirit. There is no other way to do it. Without the Holy Spirit, we will run out at some point.
- Fight with holiness. We are to look like Jesus. Others need to ask us- why do you behave, speak, respond like that? we should be different from the people in the world. The Holy Spirit and holiness are not additional extras. They are essential.
- We need to pray. We trust God to do something. We need to have solid times of seeking God for him to do what only he can do. we are all called to pray.
- Let's give all that we've got. Samson says, let me die with the philistines. When Samson is holding the pillars, and giving up his life for the sake of his people, it is intentional that he looks like Jesus. He is a shadow of who was going to die on the cross for the sake of God's chosen people. We are called to die- to give all that we've got.